About Me

My photo
Hi :) I'm Beth and this is my children's literature blog! Here I will be talking about children's books I've been reading for class

Followers

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Let's Get a Pup!





Let's Get a Pup! is a sweet story about a family that wants a new puppy to complete their family. They begin their search in the local newspaper when they come across an ad about an animal shelter. They visit the shelter and see all kinds of different dogs, but none of them seem right until they met Dave, a small and energetic puppy. On their way out with Dave they meet Rosie, an older dog with a sweet and polite demeanor that touches their hearts. After a night with Dave they decide to go back and adopt Rosie as well. The two pups bring all of them what they had hoped for in a new pet as if they were meant to be all along.

This story was painfully sweet and cute. I loved that it promotes adopting shelter animals as opposed to paying thousands of dollars for special breeds. The story teaches children that puppies can be great but the older dogs need a good home, and can bring just as much joy. I used to work at the Humane Society and there were so many dogs in need of good homes, so I'm glad there are books like this one to encourage adoption.

I also liked that the family wasn't a stereotypical looking family. The mom has a septum piercing and tattoos and the daughter is a tomboy which I think a lot of children these days can relate to.
I would recommend this for K-3rd but I think its good for everyone to read to encourage adopting shelter animals!

5 comments:

  1. This book sounds wonderful! I love that they do depict the family adopting from an animal shelter. Animals are such a huge part of families and it is great to see books explaining that. I also really like that you mentioned the way the family looked so that others can relate. Sounds like a really good book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This sounds like a great book to promote diversity with modern families. It also supports animal adoption through shelters. I like that message. I enjoy books that step outside the norm and cross over into modern times. I think this book is perfect for kindergartners and anyone who is open to new ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great book! I got teary eyed when you were reading from it during your book talk. I am an animal lover and animal rights activist and I am constantly promoting the importance of adopting from a shelter. I also loved that they not only got a puppy but that they went back for the older dog too. Puppies are easily found homes at a shelter for the most part but adult dogs are much more difficult to adopt out. I also really liked the parents depicted a more modern lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really loved your book talk on this book! I was happy how everything happened and it made me want a puppy so much more. Someday...! Great job! I know I'd love to get this book for my own collection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book looks so cute! I really like that it is focused on not only finding a puppy, but an older dog too. I think the relationship between an older and younger dog is so cute too! So I like that it encourages adoption of old and young dogs. This book looks great and I would love to read it!

    ReplyDelete